Carol M. White Physical Education Program
Each year, the Carol M. White Physical Education Program (PEP) awards millions of dollars to schools and organizations to initiate, expand, and improve physical education programs. Your school or organization could receive $100,000 to $750,000! SPARK has worked with over 150 PEP Grant winners to date; Click Here to learn about their PEP experiences with SPARK.
New: The complete list of 2013 PEP Grant recipients is now posted! Congratulations to all of the winners!
Information for 2013 PEP Grant Recipients:
- Resource Guide for 2013 PEP Recipients Click Here
- School Health Assessment options & info Click Here
- SPARK alignment with national & state standards Click Here
- PECAT Reports for SPARK K-12 PE Click Here
- HECAT Reports for our Health & Nutrition Partners Click Here
- Denver Public Schools PEP Grant success story Click Here
- SPARK Assessment Tools Click Here
- Click Here for SPARK alignment with Presidential Youth Fitness Program
- Click Here for SPARK alignment with the Let’s Move initiative
- Helpful webinars:
- Pedometers: Why? How? Which Ones?
- Integrating Technology: Authentic Assessment in Physical Education
- Grants & Funding (featuring past PEP Grant winners)
Below is a video of what PEP winners are saying about SPARK:
Why PEP Recipients Have Chosen SPARK:
- SPARK WORKS. Over 45 publications demonstrate significant outcomes on students and teachers – including academic achievement and moderate to vigorous physical activity - a specified goal for PEP Grant assessment.
- SPARK LASTS. A 2005 paper in Research Quarterly proved SPARK sustainability/ institutionalization.
- SPARK physical education is the only nationally disseminated program that positively affects ALL of these student outcomes: Activity levels, fitness, sport skills, enjoyment, and academic achievement.
- SPARK increases MVPA to over 50% of class-time (PEP reporting requirement) whether instructed by PE specialists or classroom teachers - and SPARK will consult with you on how to measure it.
- SPARK has been honored as an Exemplary Program of the U.S. Dept. of Education; cited in the Surgeon General’s Report as a “School-based solution to our nation’s healthcare crisis;” earned a “Governor’s Commendation;” and was awarded “Gold” by the Cooper Institute. SPARK is the only program to earn “PE Gold” grades K-8.
- SPARK offers programs that extend beyond their award-winning K-12 PE Programs, including Early Childhood, After School and Coordinated School Health Initiative (including Nutrition Education).
Click Here for a full list of SPARK Awards & Honors
- Check out this video by Millcreek Township School District on how they used PEP dollars to impact their community.
- New Albany Floyd County Schools and the YMCA of Southern Indiana teamed up to implement SPARK with their PEP grant. Check out this video to learn more!
- $2.2 million PEP Grant helps Pittsfield Public School (Massachusetts) SPARK-Up their Physical Education program! Click Here...
- Washington DC Public School District uses PEP funding to implement SPARK across all K-12 schools district-wide! Click Here...
- Want to hear how Colorado is using PEP funds to get kids active? Listen to this podcast by Colorado Public Radio: Click Here...
Interested in applying for a PEP grant? Click Here.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at: