Healthy, Easy and Kid-Friendly Recipe for National Nutrition Month
Provided by our Nutrition Services partner, Healthy Kids Challenge
This Apple Almond Salad recipe is easy to use when teaching kids about healthy habits, and easy for them to learn some basic kitchen skills, too! At a school or community program (or even at home) use this activity to challenge kids to learn about what they taste. It works with many fruit & veggie-based recipes, but our favorite is this apple-almond salad!
Apple Almond Salad
Prep Time: 10 minutes Serves: 8 servings or 32 (½ cup serving) tasting samples
- 1 cup non-fat, bottled raspberry vinaigrette
- 8 small apples, diced
- 1 cup Craisins® or other dried fruit bits
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 8 cups bagged, pre-cut mixed greens
1. In advance, rinse and drain the apples and mixed greens.
2. In a large salad bowl, add the ingredients and toss gently.
3. Serve ½ cup tasting samples on small plates with a fork.
4. Clean work area and utensils with warm soapy water. Rinse with clean water.
Per full-size serving (1 3/4 cups): 221 Calories, 5.2g Pro, 5.9g Fat, 24% Calories from Fat
Recipe Source: (Modified) Education.com-Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Accessed 6/11.
Taste and Learn Activity
Materials: MyPlate symbol
1. Fill half of a standard size meal plate with salad and explain it represents the fruits and veggies of the MyPlate symbol.
2. Discuss how eating that amount at meals helps kids get their suggested daily servings of fiber.
3. Ask kids to think of the fruits/veggies they ate yesterday.
4. Did the amount they ate fill half a plate? Have them draw a representation of their plate.
5. Ask kids to create a menu using the recipe and the other MyPlate food groups (grains, protein and dairy).
6. Have them create a grocery list for their menu.
At home, parents can empower kids to get involved too!
- Allow kids to help create the grocery list
- Parents and kids go grocery shopping together
- Kids make the meal with parents and eat together
Download parent tip sheets to reinforce the messaging here:
Fruits & Veggies – Enjoy the Taste, Herbs & Spices Add Pizazz to Fruits & Veggies
Visit the Healthy Kids Challenge blog for more “Taste and Learn” Recipes, including the Turkey Veggie Wrap and a Yummy Fruit Combo!